ACCIDENT: an unexpected usually sudden event that occurs without intent or volition
RECONSTRUCTION: an attempt to get a complete description of an event using the information available, or an attempt to repeat what happened during the event
RECONSTRUCTION – 2b: a technical process by which scientific principles and techniques are applied to physical evidence in order to create an accurate reenactment or understanding of a past occurrence or event (such as an accident)
Depending upon who you ask, the Answer to the question of “What is Accident Reconstruction” will obtain slightly different answers. For instance –
- Accident reconstruction is a branch of causation forensics which involves determining how and why an accident happened – accomplished first by correctly interpreting the clues left by the remaining physical evidence of the accident, then by reconstructing and studying the events preceding, during, and following the accident
- Crash Reconstruction: The art and science of determining crash causes and events from known circumstances and available physical evidence.
- An accident reconstruction is a scientific approach to solving the questions of how and why an accident occurred.
- Accident reconstruction is the process using scientific methodology to determine the circumstances, mechanics, and contributing factors associated with a collision.
- Traffic collision reconstruction is the process of investigating, analyzing, and drawing conclusions about the causes and events during a vehicle collision. (https://www.sae.org/learn/content/c1728/)
At Expert Witness Services Inc, we believe that most of these definitions leave one important thing out. Yes, it is the consideration of the physical evidence using Math and Science. However, we believe that in addition to the application of Math and Science to the evidence, the Accident Reconstructionist must consider ALL of the evidence, not just the evidence he likes (and yes, witness statements are still evidence even though you cant see, feel, taste, smell, or measure them), and then be able to EXPLAIN why certain items are less reliable than others within the framework of the subject accident (collision, crash, incident …. whatever label you prefer), which items fit, which items dont, and WHY don’t they fit.
While we hope that you are safe on the roadways and do not need our services, unfortunately accidents DO happen. If you find yourself in an accident and need an accident reconstruction report, we ask that you call on our team at Expert Witness Services Inc. To learn more about our services and what we can do for you in your specific incident, call us at 1-619-464-3477.